Association of Geospatial Industies had organized 'Strategy Workshop for Geospatial Technology for NLRMP' on 6th March'13. It was a gathering of about 45-50 participants including the Land Records Commissioners from 4-5 states. Secretary, Dept of Land Resources, Shri Bipin Bihari Srivastava gave the inaugural keynote talk in the presence of industry and senior officials from the Dept of Land Resources. Bharti Sinha, Executive Director of AGI was quite emphatic in her talk about the need to use genuine software and hardware(avoid Chineese stuff).
Hon'ble Minister of Rural Development Shri Jairam Ramesh was to speak in the inaugural session, but for some unforeseen situation, he was unable to come for workshop. Participation from the industry was limited to more or less the big field survey hardware vendors like Leica and Trimble. The service providers participation had the presence of companies like IIC Technologies, ESRI, Infotech Enterprises, Rolta, Ridings Consulting, Satpalda Trading and others. On speaking to Bharti Sinha, about the participation of the industry, particularly the service providers, she replied that invite was extended to all the members of AGI. To summarize the workshop
What were the hits in this workshop?
1. Participation of senior government officials central and state government
2. Leading hardware, software vendors and solutions providers were present
What were missing?
1. Broad based participation from the service providers
2. In the inaugual discussion the core issues were not highlighted due to which in the earlier attempt to create geospatial data for land records failed
3. As an association which represents the industry, there was no talk about the stand which AGI has vis-a-vis the cost per Sq Km, although there is so much of hullabaloo about the rates, which is still short by miles of what it should have been.
Please watch out for the proceedings of the workshop, which as mentioned by Dr. Yogita Shukla, Fellow at AGI, will be available soon the website of AGI.